Monday, January 26, 2009

Lessons From The Past

Enjoy the simple things.

Behold the beauty inside.


Don't always go with the flow.
Be aware of your surroundings.

Respect the sacrifices others have made before us.
Never give up, complete your task no matter how difficult it may seem.
Respect the all of God's creatures.

All of these pictures were taken in or around New Harmony, Indiana. Tanya (Farm House Kids), managed to pry me out of the house for lunch. We talked cameras and had a wonderful lunch at the Yellow Tavern. Once I was out, I couldn't just go home and sit in my depressing cold house, so I wandered. New Harmony is a historic town in South West Indiana. It was founded as a Utopian Society in the 1800's. The work ethic and strong sense of community allowed the Harmonist to build tremendous wealth and a community that still stands strong today. New Harmony is now an artists' town with a wealth of shops and galleries nestled among historic buildings, parks, and places of worship.

8 Your thoughts:

Jane said...

I am soooo totally impressed with these beautiful photos. You have a special way with photo journalism!

Anonymous said...

How do I start? I can't pick a favorite. They are all beautiful. The light in the spinning wheel is perfect. The horse is wonderful and the waterfall...Leaves me speechless. All are wonderful captures but I need to get my kid to bed so I am out of time . Well done!!

Dana said...

Thank you Karen and Jane. I had a hard time picking too. The spinning wheel was inside one of the log cabins and I had to press my camera up tight against the glass to get the shot. I think I am going to go back at a different time of day and try it again. The flairs and the blown out window bug me.

Tanya Siekman said...

Dana,

It was a great lunch ... too bad I couldn't wander around New Harmony with you ... dangit, had to work ... but I bet I was warmer than you ... heeeheee!

Great shots! I love it that we live so close to NH ... awesome photo opps! We'll have to do it again soon.

Tanya

Shawna Lynn said...

Absolutely beautiful images! There is no way I could pick a favorite, they are all great. You live close to a beautiful, historical area. I envy you!
Fantastic work!

Andrea said...

You got to meet one of the "moms"!! Wow! Really nice images Dana! Thank you for sharing them all. I think the horse if my favorite.

Lanna said...

I love them all but must agree w/Andrea. I love horses! We have one that I'm sure will make my blog one of these days. When our barn is done we hope to get more!

Jo-Anne Price said...

Great images!