Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another kind of rescue


I got these Amaryllis from the clearance bin. Sometimes with a little loving care they will bloom right away. Out of 3, only one will bloom this time around. I had over a dozen Amaryllis and I goofed up and let them get one night of frost. That is all it took - one night. All of them died.

After they bloom, they die back and then you put them outside in warm weather. I normally tuck the pots in with some annuals and let them grow stronger for a winter bloom. During the summer they just grow the strap like leaves you see in the back. You must bring them in before any frost and let them die down. Early December, start watering again and you will get beautiful blooms for Christmas.

5 Your thoughts:

Jane said...

How lovely. I'm so glad you saved this one!

Anonymous said...

Pretty DOF and the green looks luminecent

Anonymous said...

I love Amaryllis. Great color and dof.

Jo-Anne Price said...

Love the dop!

Andrea said...

I love this Dana.